Adhesives Spill after SC Plant Fire
Friday, August 12, 2016 @ 12:08 PM gHale
An equipment malfunction caused a large fire that heavily damaged the Bostik Inc. plant in Greenville, SC, Tuesday night.
The company on Wednesday could not provide an estimate on when the manufacturing facility would reopen, spokeswoman Janet Smith said.
An equipment malfunction caused the fire to break out about 8:45 p.m. Tuesday, the Pelham-Batesville Fire Department said. About 25 employees evacuated when a large tank ruptured, spilling liquid adhesives kept at a temperature of more than 500 degrees, said Assistant Fire Chief Carey Ballew.
More than 50 firefighters from various departments responded to the scene. Firefighters left the location about 2 a.m. Wednesday.
“We had a ton of smoke inside a very large structure,” he said. “That’s what kept us there that long, actually. The fire was under control a lot earlier than that, but we had to get the smoke out.”
Overnight, officials monitored the fire for hot spots.
Two firefighters ended up sent to the hospital for injuries. One suffered from heat exhaustion and another broke his ribs when he tripped and fell on his way out of the building, Ballew said.
Bostik develops construction and industrial adhesives, according to the company’s website.
The manufacturing portion of the facility had “a lot of damage,” Ballew said, although the building was not a total loss.
Additional cleanup will be necessary at the site, Smith said. The company will also conduct a complete investigation.
“In a situation like this, we want to really understand what happened,” Smith said.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.