Ammonia Leak Forces Evac at GA Food Plant

Thursday, May 21, 2015 @ 06:05 PM gHale


A faulty pipe was the cause of an ammonia leak at the Fresh Express plant in Morrow, GA, forcing the evacuation of workers Monday, fire officials said.

The leak ended up contained in a 5000 square foot room at the facility, Clayton County Fire Department officials said. They said they believe the leak ended up caused by a faulty pipe.

RELATED STORIES
NJ School OK after Naphtha Leak
Chemical Spill Forces Evac in TX
Chemical Spill Sends 4 to Hospital
Chem Spill Forces Pharma Firm Evac

Workers ended up alerted by an alarm and a strong odor spread around noon Monday. There were no reports of injuries.

As a result of the leak, the plant’s 400 employees ended up evacuated, as well as other local businesses on Jonesboro Road and South Citizens Parkway.

Jonesboro Road reopened just before 5 p.m. and fire officials gave the all-clear sign just before 6 p.m. Cleaning crews entered the facility to prepare the building to reopen for business.

Ammonia can cause throat irritation, lung irritation, and, at the right levels, can be fatal, said Clayton County Fire Dept. Chief Landry Merikson.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.