Blaze Breaks Out at PA Mushroom Facility

Thursday, August 24, 2017 @ 03:08 PM gHale


Firefighters work to extinguish a fire at the Giorgio mushroom facility in Richmond Township, PA.
Photo by Lindsey O’Laughlin
 

A Giorgio mushroom factory caught fire Sunday in the Richmond Township, PA.

The fire broke out at 8 p.m. at a maintenance garage on the company’s property in the 300 block of Dryville Road, near East Locust Street, in Richmond Township, near Fleetwood, officials said.

RELATED STORIES
Fire Shuts Peter Pan Salmon Plant
BC LNG Facility Blast Injures Worker
2 Burned in LA Gas Plant Blast
Worker Killed in MI Pallet Plant Blast

The fire went to two alarms, and crews had to evacuate the building.

Officials said the fire was knocked down after 9 p.m., but crews remained on the scene for several hours.

One firefighter suffered a minor injury, officials said.

A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal is working to find the cause.

Anthony Giannotti, deputy fire chief for the Walnuttown Fire Company, said it took about 45 minutes to get the blaze under control.

Without convenient access to a fire hydrant, several tanker trucks were brought in to keep two portable pools filled with water.

There was some initial confusion about the location of the fire, Giannotti said. Giorgio also has a facility in Maidencreek Township, which is where crews were sent first, he said.

A damage estimate was not available, but about half of the roof of the building was caved in and the walls suffered damage.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.