Broken Valve Causes Chemical Leak

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 @ 09:10 AM gHale


A broken valve resulted in two people suffering injuries following a chlorine leak Thursday at the Town of Pittsville, MD, water treatment plant on Gumboro Road.

Fire and emergency crews responded to the scene at around 8:45 a.m. after two technicians noticed the broken valve on a chlorine tank. The technicians ended up transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center for difficulty breathing.

RELATED STORIES
Chemical Fire at Sarasota Fertilizer Plant
6 Hurt in Chemical Spill in NC
HazMat Leak in Boston
Gas Leak Forces Evacuation

Motorists ended up detoured around the scene of the incident, as fire and emergency crews worked to get the situation under control.

Pittsville elementary and middle schools were sheltering in place while crews worked to contain the leak. The all clear signal came out shortly before 11 a.m. and schools returned to normal status, according to a spokesperson for Wicomico Public Schools.

Roads around the scene of the incident have also since reopened.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.