Chemical Fire Forces Evacuation

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 @ 06:07 PM gHale


A chemical fire at a metal-plating operation forced authorities to evacuate an eight-block area of Columbia City, IN.

Residents in the Columbia City neighborhood were able return home at 4 p.m. Friday after firefighters extinguished the blaze at C&R Plating Corp. The fire report came in about 1 p.m.

RELATED STORIES
KN Oilfield Accident Claims 2
Chemical Fire Out after 23 Hours
Safety System in Play in Chem Plant Blast
Intel Plant Gas Leak Leaves 43 Ill

Officials identified the chemical involved as sodium hydrosulfite, which can irritate breathing, skin and eyes. Fire officials asked residents six blocks away to shut their windows and turn off their air conditioners.

A company employee ended up treated and released from the hospital after inhaling fumes, and some police officers received treatment for skin irritation and also released.

The company’s website says it does nickel plating, and other finishing processes.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.