Chemical Spill Contained in MN
Wednesday, May 4, 2016 @ 10:05 AM gHale
A chemical spilled Friday afternoon at the GNP Company plant in Cold Spring, MN.
Cold Spring Fire Chief Dan Weber says about 260 gallons of organic peroxide leaked out of a valve that broke open.
Cold Spring fire crews were on the scene shortly before 4:30 p.m. and with the help of the St. Cloud Fire department they were able to contain the spill by about 7:30 p.m.
Battalion Chief Jerry Raymond said the St. Cloud Fire Department responded to assist the Cold Spring Fire Department at 6:10 p.m. Friday. Raymond said a chemical called Inspexx 150, a sanitizing liquid used to treat the company’s chicken for salmonella, spilled because of a faulty valve in a pole on the north side of the property.
Firefighters contained the chemical spill and ventilated the building. Raymond said St. Cloud firefighters were on the scene in case the acid created an explosive atmosphere, but said that did not turn out to be a concern.
“They weren’t anywhere close to having an explosive atmosphere,” he said.
Firefighters were on the scene until just before 8 p.m. There were no reports of any injuries or harmful exposure, Raymond said.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.