Chemical Spill Injures Contractor
Friday, September 2, 2016 @ 03:09 PM gHale
One person suffered injuries from inhaling a chemical that spilled at Expera Specialty Solutions in Kaukauna, WI, Monday.
The fire department got the call at 9:19 a.m. for a report as much as 200 gallons of sodium hypochlorite spilled at the paper mill on Thilmany Road.
The spill forced plant workers to evacuate, the fire department said.
Expera Specialty Solutions said the person affected was a contractor working at the plant. He ended up transported to the ThedaCare Regional Medical Center in Appleton, WI. The company said he then ended up treated and released.
Sodium hypochlorite is diluted with water to make common bleach. The chemical can cause respiratory irritation, skin burns and eye damage, according to the National Institutes of Health.
A hazardous materials team from Appleton was able to stop the fluid leak and determined 20 to 30 gallons spilled.
Once the spill cleaned up, the chemical could end up treated through the paper mill’s water treatment plant and the air ventilated with the plant’s ventilation system.
Officials gave the all-clear around 10 a.m.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.