Chlorine Vapor Cloud Cleared

Monday, August 19, 2013 @ 04:08 PM gHale


A chemical leak at the ConocoPhillips campus in west Houston last Wednesday forced the evacuation of one building and led to a warning for drivers to avoid the area for a period of time, Houston Fire Department (HFD) officials said.

Officials said four employees ended up transported to the hospital as a precaution. However, shelter-in-place orders did not end up going out.

RELATED STORIES
IL Pipeline Blast under Investigation
CA Gas Leak Evacuation Lifted
Chemical Fire Forces Evacuation
New Fines in CA Pipeline Blast

The leak occurred about 11:40 a.m. at 600 N. Dairy Ashford, near Eldrige Parkway, said Capt. Ruy Lozano, HFD spokesman.

HFD said the incident began when pool chemicals in a storage area mixed and created a vapor.

Lozano said the chemical appears to be chlorine-based liquid that spilled in the pool area near one of the buildings. The people inside evacuated. HFD Hazmat crews cleaned up the spill.

Officials said chlorine can burn if it touches skin and can be harmful if inhaled. Drivers ended up cautioned to temporarily avoid the area.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.