Factory Ammonia Leak Injures 3
Thursday, June 18, 2015 @ 03:06 PM gHale
Three workers ended up rushed to the hospital after an ammonia leak Tuesday afternoon at poultry factory in the Irving Park neighborhood on Chicago’s northwest side.
Shortly before 3 p.m., a hazardous material alert ended up called by the Chicago Fire Department at Koch Foods, 4405 W. Berteau Ave., according to Commander Will Knight, a spokesman for the fire department.
The leak caused employees to evacuate, officials said.
Crews utilizing Level A hazmat suits entered the building in order to shut the valve and stop the leak.
Three workers ended up transported to a local hospital, where their conditions were stabile, he said.
The company is a supplier of frozen and fresh poultry products for retail operators, according to Koch’s website.
Firefighters were still at the factory as of 3:45 p.m., but the environment was secure, Knight said.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.