Failed Centrifuge Kills 1, Injures 3

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 @ 02:03 PM gHale

A machine operator died and three others sustained severe injuries Thursday after a centrifuge machine in a dye manufacturing unit at Vatva GIDC in Ahmedabad, India, malfunctioned creating an explosion.

Ahmedabad India Fire and Emergency Services (AFES) responded to the fire and evacuate anyone else at the site.

RELATED STORIES
Two Hurt after Chemical Reaction
Fatality at GA Flooring Maker
Fatality at UT Airbag Maker
PA Pipeline Incident Forces Shutdown

Vatva GIDC police registered a case of accidental death and have started a probe to find whether the machine failure occurred due to technical fault or human error.

AFES got the call from Dhanlakshmi Industries in Phase IV of Vatva GIDC at about 2 p.m. and a team was sent to the spot.

“The unit manufactures chemical dyes. One of the centrifuges for the process got uprooted from its foundation and went out of control. The scalding chemical spilled out and the centrifuge broke down with a blast,” an AFES official said.

Kalyansingh Parihar, 25, who was an operator and was standing nearby, died at the scene, AFES officials said.

Three others — Bunty Parihar, 26, Mahendra Parihar, 43, and Naresh Damor, 21 – ended up rushed to a hospital in Ghodasar and later to LG Hospital for treatment, where they have been kept under observation.

The fire was controlled within half an hour.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.