Fire Out at PA Gas Well Site

Friday, July 18, 2014 @ 06:07 PM gHale

A faulty valve in a cylindrical sand container caused gas to leak Monday and then ignite at a CNX Gas Co. well site off Lightner Run Road in Center Township, PA.

Center Township Fire Chief Charlie Jones said firefighters from his department and an employee of CNX were able to shut off the value, stopping the flow of gas. “The fire had ignited some plastic and wood near the valve, and we quickly put that out,” Jones said.

RELATED STORIES
Gas Well Fire Forces Evac
Close View of PA Well Incidents
Fracking System Cuts Carbon Footprint
Feds Failed to Inspect High Risk Wells

The fire was at the company’s Green Hill 11 pad gas production unit, Kate O’Donovan, CNX spokeswoman said.

“All four wells on-site have been safely shut in and secured. The situation has been contained, and all company personnel and contractors have been evacuated and accounted for with no injuries,” she said.

“There is no imminent danger to surrounding communities,” she said.

Fire companies got the call at 3:15 p.m. and worked the blaze until 5:30 p.m.

Personnel from the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) were at the site late Monday afternoon. The agency will evaluate the situation and make sure there are no problems that could affect public health of the environment, said Morgan Wagner, DEP spokeswoman.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.