Gasoline Fumes, Plasma Cutter Cause Fire

Monday, April 3, 2017 @ 04:04 PM gHale


Gasoline fumes sparked by a plasma cutter caused Delaney Concrete Construction to ignite into flames Tuesday in Marion, IA.

Crews got the call around 4:30 p.m. as massive amounts of smoke poured out of two open bay doors, said Marion Fire District Chief Wade Markley.

RELATED STORIES
Vapor Leak at WA Pipeline Station
AK Underwater Pipeline Leak Started in Dec.
BP Pipeline Leaks in CO Creek
ND 2013 Oil Spill Still a Mess

Someone was draining gasoline out of a skid-steer loader when fumes ignited from sparks from a plasma cutter, fire officials said. It took crews about an hour and a half to get the fire under control. Officials called the fire accidental.

Three employees escaped the building without injury, but the building was heavily damaged with the roof partially collapsing.

Delaney Concrete is a family-owned business that has been in Marion since 1975.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.