HazMat Condition at IL Water Plant

Tuesday, July 24, 2018 @ 10:07 AM gHale

A fire Friday night in a building housing large quantities of chemicals at the city of Elgin’s water treatment facility was likely caused by an electrical motor failure, Elgin fire officials said.

The fire broke out at 9 p.m. in a building at 375 W. River Road in Elgin, IL, and was upgraded to include hazardous materials, Elgin fire department officials said.

RELATED STORIES
MT Town Evacuated due to Chem Lab
Gas Leak Forces Evac of Entire IL Village
Tanker Blast Hurts 1, Forces Evac
Overloaded Power Strip Starts Oil Firm Fire

Firefighters entered the building and discovered the fire was extinguished by an automatic sprinkler system, officials said. There was minimal chemical involvement.

Two employees were able to evacuate, fire officials said. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

There was no impact to the city’s water treatment operations or to the public, fire officials said.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.