Landscaping Firm Faces Repeat Safety Fines
Tuesday, July 12, 2016 @ 02:07 PM gHale
L&M Bag and Supply Company Inc., doing business as L&M Supply Company Inc., is facing $66,000 in fines for 15 health and safety violations at its San Marcos, TX, facility, said officials at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
OSHA investigators cited L&M Supply Company Inc. for 13 serious, one repeat and one other violation.
The inspection kicked off March 24, following a complaint of unsafe working conditions and allegations the company did not report two incidents to OSHA involving injuries including an in-patient hospitalization of an employee whose arm became caught in a machine.
The repeat citation was for failing to guard machinery. OSHA cited the company for the same violation in 2011 at its Willacoochee, GA, facility.
Serious violations include failing to:
• Provide emergency shut off buttons on machines
• Develop and implement a lockout/tagout program
• Provide training to employees operating forklifts and other forklift-related issues
• Guard rotating parts, chains and sprockets on machines
• Ensure that electrical outlets and boxes were mounted
• Label breaker panels to indicate each circuit’s purpose
• Report the in-patient hospitalization of an employee to OSHA within 24 hours
“Unguarded moving machine parts cause serious injuries to workers every year,” said R. Casey Perkins, OSHA’s area director in Austin. “L&M Supply Company needs to immediately put guards on every machine part that can cause injury, and report any injury requiring hospitalization to OSHA within 24 hours.”