MD Acid Spill Brings Shelter in Place Order
Tuesday, June 2, 2015 @ 03:06 PM gHale
About 500 Maryland City, MD, residents had to stay indoors Saturday with their air conditioning off after sulfuric acid leaked from a trailer delivering the chemical, officials said.
Anne Arundel County Fire Department spokesman Russ Davies said the trailer was delivering the chemical to Clean Harbors Environmental Services when the driver noticed the leak.
Davies says hazardous materials crews responded at about 9 a.m. Saturday to the incident and lifted the shelter-in-place order around 10:30 a.m.
Sulfuric acid is a highly corrosive strong mineral acid. It is a pungent-ethereal, colorless to slightly yellow viscous liquid which is soluble in water at all concentrations. Sometimes, it is dyed dark brown during production to alert people to its hazards
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.