Chemical Safety Incidents
MI Companies Fined after Fatality
Wednesday, October 28, 2015 @ 02:10 PM gHale
Two Holland, MI, companies are facing six worker safety violations following a work-related death.
The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration, OSHA, conducted the inspection of Gates Electric, Inc. and Electrical Inspection Services, LLC in Holland from June 16 to Aug. 19. During the fatality inspection, OSHA discovered six violations, totaling $357,000 in penalties.
As result of the inspection, Gates Electric, Inc. is facing citations for the following violations:
• Electric gloves past expiration, used to touch/pull employee after/during electrical shock
• Employer not complying with National Electric Code; Electrical equipment related to fire pump not installed properly
• No protection provided by employer for live electrical installation
• Employer permitted employee to be in proximity of a live electrical wire without proper precautions
• Employer did not have two qualified employees to work on energized wires of greater than 440 volts
Electrical Inspection Services received a citation for an electrical inspector not following the National Electric Code violation.