No Injuries in GA Chemical Spill

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 @ 11:03 AM gHale


Hazmat teams were busy in DeKalb County, GA, last Friday as they were cleaning up after a chemical spill at a food packaging company in Stone Mountain.

DeKalb Fire Department Captain Eric Jackson said the incident occurred at 8 a.m. at Thermo Pac on Stoneridge Drive when a female employee was carrying nitric acid out of a lab and the container dropped and broke on the floor, spilling the acid onto her pants.

RELATED STORIES
Chemical Spill Injures One at OK Plant
Macaroni Maker Faces Safety Fines
Amputation Hazards at Auto Parts Maker
Wire Maker Faces Repeat Safety Fines

Jackson said two other employees came to her aid, and emergency crews responded.

The company evacuated and the woman carrying the container, the two that came to her rescue and several firefighters ended up decontaminated on scene. The woman carrying the container and one other employee went to the hospital as a precautionary measure. There were no serious injuries.

Jackson says there was no threat to any other business or people in the area.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.