Offshore Wireless Safety System Awarded
Monday, February 15, 2016 @ 02:02 PM gHale
Malaysia’s fully integrated oil and gas multinational, PETRONAS, earned the “ISA100 Wireless Excellence in Automation Award” for a research project that quantified the performance of an ISA100 Wireless-based safety system at an offshore operational site.
PETRONAS received the award at the 2016 ARC Industry Forum in Orlando, FL, during the “Minimizing Safety Risks with Asset Performance Management.” The ISA100 Wireless Compliance Institute presented the award.
PETRONAS is recognized for conducting rigorous testing and analysis of an ISA100 Wireless safety system operating on an offshore oil platform with remote wireless monitoring located on another platform 5 kilometers away.
The strategic goal of its research was to improve safety and reliability of asset management. In order to reach this key strategic goal, the PETRONAS team set two research objectives:
• Assess the stability and reliability of long-distance communication of an ISA100 Wireless safety system in a harsh offshore radio environment
• To confirm the performance and interoperability of an ISA100 Wireless safety system.
The team said its research has proven concrete benefits of ISA100 Wireless in safety applications, delivering cost reductions and operational flexibility; and that ISA100 Wireless, taken as a wireless standard, is able to deliver the full wireless functionality.
As a result of their research, the team concluded:
• ISA100 Wireless communication has been proven reliable over long distances
• Interoperability has been proven to be simple plug and play of various vendor devices into the network
• ISA100 Wireless is fully functional in a mesh, star, or a mixed topology