One Hurt after Ammonia Leak

Friday, October 13, 2017 @ 10:10 AM gHale


A firefighter is in the hospital after an ammonia leak Monday night at a south Nashville, TN, automated freezer facility.

The incident occurred 8:30 p.m. Monday at Cold Storage of Nashville on Hackworth Street.

RELATED STORIES
Fire Shuts OK Chemical Plant
Explosion at Eastman Chemical TN Plant
Man Dies after Chem Plant Blast
3 Workers Hurt at Alcoa AR Plant

The ammonia leaked from a 10,000-gallon refrigeration tank, said fire officials at the scene.

The Nashville Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Team stopped the leak within an hour.

One firefighter ended up hospitalized after suffering from a medical issue that happened while he was responding to the leak. He has since been treated and released.

The ammonia levels at the plant have returned to normal and repairs are reportedly underway.

Ammonia is corrosive to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Rapid evaporation of the liquid may cause frostbite.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.