- Connected Car: Start Thinking Security
- Rockwell Fixes Parser Buffer Overflow
- Oil and Gas Security ‘Not Keeping Pace’
- Ground Control Maker Stays SHARP
- Parsons Reapproved for OSHA Safety Program
- Worker Dies in Manufacturing Incident
- ARC: Open, Secure Systems Moving Forward
- ARC: Take ‘Crown Jewels’ Offline
Chemical Safety Incidents
Power Plant Burn Injury Brings Safety Fines
Monday, May 16, 2016 @ 04:05 PM gHale
Georgia Power Co. and ABB Inc. are facing $122,780 in fines for nine safety violations at the Plant Bowen facility in Cartersville, GA, said officials at the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
OSHA inspectors opened an investigation Oct. 27 after learning an electric arc flash injured a worker at Georgia Power’s Plant Bowen generating facility. When the arc flash occurred, a 48-year-old electrician was working on an electrical cabinet that still had power running through it. The ABB Inc. employee suffered second and third-degree burns to his hands, arms and torso.
Georgia Power received two repeated, five serious and two other-than-serious safety citations.
The repeated violations relate to the employer failing to ensure the electrical cabinet did not have power before allowing work to begin and not developing specific steps to power down machinery and prevent starting up during maintenance and servicing. Georgia Power faced similar citations in 2014 at this facility.
The company’s serious violations relate to its failure to:
• Ensure proper grounding of electrical equipment
• Inform other employers of their electrical lockout program
• Provide adequate procedures for electrical energy isolation
In addition, ABB Inc. received two serious citations. The serious violations relate to the employer’s failure to coordinate with other employers on the specific requirements of removing power from equipment before maintenance and servicing and exposing workers to electrical hazards.
“Every day, employees place their trust in their employers to keep them safe while they work, unfortunately Georgia Power and ABB failed to ensure the cabinet was properly de-energized before allowing the electrician to begin working,” said Christi Griffin, OSHA’s director of the Atlanta-West Office. “This incident was totally preventable if his employers simply followed OSHA standards.”