Pressure Relief Torch Cause of IA Pork Plant Fire

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 @ 06:01 PM gHale


A fire at JBS Swift in Marshalltown, IA, caused  $500,000 in damage.

A fire at JBS Swift in Marshalltown, IA, caused $500,000 in damage.

The fire that damaged the JBS pork plant in Marshalltown, IA, was unintentional, but caused when workers ignited a pressure relief torch to burn off excess gas, officials said.

There were no injuries in the Jan. 23 blaze, which took firefighters about three hours to extinguish and reads like a chain of events that led to the massive blaze.

RELATED STORIES
Gas Fire at IA Meat Processing Plant
Fire Damages MI Waste Treatment Plant
Fiberglass Plant Blaze Triggers Evac
Fire Causes Partial Building Collapse

It all started, fire officials said, when staffers ignited a pressure relief torch to burn off excess gas. Then some debris in the area ended up on fire as well, and embers dropped and ignited gas venting around a manhole cover.

The flames eventually reached gas in the methane lagoon.

When the crews arrived on the scene they had to put out a large flammable gas-fed fire at the methane collection lagoon. Together with JBS staff, fire crews isolated the plant from the collection system to prevent any gas exposure to the facility.

Damage in the blaze is around $500,000, officials said.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.