Radiation Exposure: INL at Fault

Friday, January 20, 2012 @ 03:01 PM gHale


Radiation exposure of 16 workers at a nuclear research lab in Idaho stemmed from a failure to properly assess the risks posed by the handling of decades-old plutonium fuel cells, federal investigators reported this week.

This past November there was a mishap at the Idaho National Laboratory, the U.S. Energy Department’s Office of Health, Safety and Security investigators also found the lab erred in not activating its emergency plan sooner after the accident, a delay that may have compromised medical treatment of the workers.

RELATED STORIES
Idaho Lab Workers Suffer Radiation Exposure
Safety Systems Kick in at Nuke
Caught: Surfing Net while Controlling Nuke
Radioactive Water Leak Shuts NY Nuke

The panel recommended the lab conduct a fresh assessment of “the likelihood, severity and risk of accidents,” as well as the effectiveness of hazard controls at the deactivated reactor where the exposure occurred.

The Idaho National Laboratory (INL), occupying 890 square miles in eastern Idaho, is the Energy Department’s leading nuclear research center, employing 6,000 government workers and contractors.

The decommissioned reactor involved in the accident is within a complex of facilities used for remotely handling, processing and examining spent nuclear fuel, radioactive waste and other irradiated materials.

Sixteen workers suffered exposure to low-level plutonium radiation when a container holding a plutonium fuel plate ended up opened in the process of preparing the material for shipment to another facility. Subsequent inspections found a layer of stainless steel cladding that envelops the spent nuclear fuel inside the container was defective.

Thirteen of the workers tested positive for actual radioactive contamination, either on their clothing or from nasal swabs, and two of those inhaled radioactive particles, said lab spokesman Ethan Huffman.

None has shown any sign of radiation sickness or other ailments, and all 16 returned to the job the next day, though the two who tested positive in lung scans have stayed away from further radiological work while medical evaluations of them continue, Huffman said.

The radiation doses were minimal and “we don’t believe there is anything that would be of concern in terms of long-term effects for them,” he said.

The decommissioned reactor remained closed since the accident amid continuing decontamination efforts. Officials said the radiation release posed no risk to the public.

The exposed workers are all employees of laboratory contractor Battelle Energy Alliance.

Lab director John Grossenbacher issued a statement saying officials there “deeply regret” the incident and promising to improve safety and training programs “and to better understand the hazards of our work.”

The board of investigators said INL could have avoided the accident had the lab and Battelle paid more attention to well-documented safety risks posed by the plutonium fuel plates and taken greater precautions.

“Through a review of records, the board found that the probability of encountering damaged plutonium fuel plates is higher than expressed” in existing safety protocols for the reactor, which officials decommissioned in 1992, the panel said.

“As a result, workers were at increased risk of exposure to uncontrolled radioactive material,” the safety board said.

Battelle, the report found, had rated the chance of an accident like the one that occurred as “extremely unlikely,” and there was no evidence “that any drill was performed that would have prepared the workforce to respond to an event like the” November 8 mishap.

The panel also faulted the lab for failing to activate its emergency plan sooner to ensure a better-coordinated and timely response. That error “limited the effectiveness of the medical response” and delayed an assessment of how strong a dose of radiation the workers received, the panel said.

The effects of radiation worsen the longer radioactive material remains in the body.

Plutonium is more dangerous inhaled than ingested because particles lodge in the lungs instead of the body eliminating them, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.