Saudi Aramco Back Up after Attack

Monday, August 27, 2012 @ 11:08 AM gHale


Saudi Aramco’s main internal computer networks are back up and running after a malicious virus infected about 30,000 of its workstations earlier in August.

The company’s main internal networks fell victim to an attack August 15 and the networking experts have now cleaned and restored the system and it is up and ready for service.

RELATED STORIES
Saudi Aramco Hacked
Sites Change Tactics after Attack
One Attack Starts at Web Site
Beware of Internet Scammers

Saudi Aramco’s production plants and primary enterprise systems of hydrocarbon exploration and production remained unaffected as they operate on isolated network systems, officials said.

The company also said its exports, sales, distribution operations, and financial and human resources systems, and databases went unaffected by the attack.

The company’s precautionary procedures, which went into affect to counter such threats, and its multiple protective systems, helped to mitigate the cyber threats from spiraling, said Saudi Aramco President and Chief Executive Khalid Al-Falih.

“Saudi Aramco is not the only company that became a target for such attempts, and this was not the first nor will it be the last illegal attempt to intrude into our systems, and we will ensure that we will further reinforce our systems with all available means to protect against a recurrence of this type of cyber attack,” Al-Falih said.

In May 2102, security researchers uncovered a massive cyber attack that attempted to steal data from Middle Eastern countries and was operating undetected for up to two years.

The malware, nicknamed Flame, was targeting countries across the Middle East and Africa including Iran, Israel, Sudan, Syria, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Egypt.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.