SC Chemical Spill Cleared Up

Monday, June 30, 2014 @ 07:06 PM gHale


A hazardous situation caused voluntary evacuations in Greenville County Friday morning.

A building that houses sodium hydrosulfite that ended up stored in the wrong container forced an evacuation Friday morning in Greenville, SC.

RELATED STORIES
Release Forces Evac at OH Chem Plant
Refining Crude Brings Heavy Sulfur Odor
Chemical Safety Report Updated
West, TX, Blast First Responders Unprepared

It all started when a worker arrived at the New Life Chemical & Equipment in Greenville at 5 a.m. Friday and saw smoke in the building that stores the chemical.

Ron Rountree, New Life Chemical & Equipment’s president, said the solid-form of the chemical, which is like bleach, ended up stored in the wrong container and suffered exposure to humidity over night. The chemical smokes when in contact with water, Rountree said.

Almost 100 emergency workers from hazmat, sheriff’s deputies and fire crews were at the scene.

The Gantt District fire chief said they put out the smoking chemical with soda ash and no one suffered an injury. As a precaution, nearby roads shut down and businesses and neighborhoods evacuated. By 11 a.m., all roads and businesses reopened, and neighbors returned home.

New Life Chemical & Equipment is a soap surplus company making fabric softeners and detergent. It has been in business for 16 years. The company president said this is the first time an incident of this nature has occurred.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.