Siemens glibc Library Fix Update
Friday, July 15, 2016 @ 01:07 PM gHale
Siemens created updates to mitigate a buffer overflow vulnerability in the glibc library in ROX II, APE devices, SINEMA Remote Connect, and Basic RT V13, according to a report with ICS-CERT.
In addition, Siemens has specific mitigations for SCALANCE M-800/S615 until a patch is available.
This vulnerability is remotely exploitable and exploits that target this vulnerability are publicly available.
Siemens reports the vulnerability affects the following products:
• ROX II: V2.3.0-V2.9.0 (inclusive)
• APE (Linux): All versions
• SINEMA Remote Connect: All versions prior to Version 1.2
• SCALANCE M-800/S615: All versions
• Basic RT V13: All versions prior to V13 SP1 Update 9
An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability may be able to cause a denial-of-service condition in the affected devices or possibly execute arbitrary code.
Siemens is a multinational company headquartered in Munich, Germany.
Siemens ROX-based devices connect devices that operate in harsh environments such as electric utility substations and traffic control cabinets.
RUGGEDCOM APE is a utility-grade computing platform that plugs directly into any member of the RUGGEDCOM RX1500 family and makes it possible to run third-party software applications without an external industrial PC.
SINEMA Remote Connect is a management platform for remote networks allowing users to manage and maintain tunnel connections (VPN) between networks, machines, and sites.
SCALANCE security modules provide filtering of incoming and outgoing network connections with stateful packet inspection.
The affected devices see action on a global basis across several sectors including chemical, communications, critical manufacturing, dams, energy, food and agriculture, government facilities, healthcare and public health, transportation systems, and water and wastewater systems.
Siemens provides updates for the following products and encourages customers to update their products:
• APE (Linux): Follow update process provided in the corresponding application note.
• Basic RT V13: Update to Version V13 SP 1 Update 9.
• SINEMA Remote Connect software update for Version 1.2.
Siemens recommends applying the following mitigations until patches are available for SCALANCE M-800/S615:
• Disable use of DNS on affected devices if possible.
• Use trusted DNS servers, trusted networks/providers, and known trusted DNS domains in device configuration.
• Limit size of DNS responses to 512 bytes for UDP messages, and 1024 bytes for TCP messages on network border.
As a general security measure, Siemens recommends to protect network access to nonperimeter devices with appropriate mechanisms.
For more information on this vulnerability and more detailed mitigation instructions, please see Siemens Security Advisory SSA-301706.