Spill Brings in HazMat Team

Thursday, August 8, 2013 @ 08:08 PM gHale


A valve on a vessel containing therminol failed leaving the fluid on the floor at the Cambridge Major Chemical Company in Germantown, WI, Tuesday morning.

The company uses a product called therminol, used in a heat transfer process. Officials say a valve on a vessel containing the therminol failed at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, and fluid ended up on the floor.

RELATED STORIES
Human Error Possible Plant Blast Cause
Safety Plan Works in Chem Plant Blaze
Chemical Fire Forces Evacuation
KN Oilfield Accident Claims 2

The fluid ran into a self-contained sump, and did not get into the sewer system.

Officials say the fluid gave off a vapor, which tripped the fire alarm system, and notified Germantown fire officials.

Neither of the building’s fire suppression systems came into play.

Cambridge Major has a contract with an environmental business for cleanup, and the private contractor was taking care of that.

Fire officials gave the all clear at 1:30 p.m. and employees returned to work.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.