Steel Plating Plant Fire Injures 3

Thursday, July 10, 2014 @ 03:07 PM gHale


A fire at the steel plating plant in Leslie, MI, that houses nickel and chromic acid left three people injured and forced officials to ask residents to stay in their homes and to seek shelter.

At 8:10 p.m. Tuesday City of Leslie Fire Department received a call of a smoke condition at ISC Plating.

RELATED STORIES
KN Ethanol Plant Dryer Explodes
One Injured after TX Gas Blast
Gas Leak Contained after 12 Hours
Cleaning Up KN Pipeline Leak

Three people needed medical treatment, but Rob Dale, Ingham County Deputy Emergency Manager, said the injuries were not serious or life-threatening.

“There was no one inside of the building at the time of the fire,” Dale said. “As of 11 p.m. the fire was under control.”

Dale said they conducted water tests to the area supply and creek behind the plant and everything checked out fine.

Fire and police departments from Eaton, Livingston, Jackson and Ingham counties were at the scene of the fire.

“We’ve pre-planned for an emergency like this here before,” Dale said. “There’s nickel and chromic acid in the building so we had to be prepared for something like this.”

As a result of the fire, officials asked residents to stay in their homes and to seek shelter. The American Red Cross set up an overnight shelter for residents at Woodworth Elementary School.

The cause of the fire has not been determined at this point as firefighters continue to investigate.



Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.