Water Plant Blast Cause: Fan Failure

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 @ 12:02 PM gHale

An explosion and fire in a sewage treatment facility in Quincy, MA, that injured five workers was the result of a mechanical failure of an industrial circulation fan.

The state Fire Marshal’s office and the Quincy Fire Department said the fan’s failure led to the release of a sulfur-based dust cloud, which exploded and led to the fire Monday at the Massachusetts Water Resource Authority’s Nut Island Headworks in Quincy.

Chemical Spill at MA Facility
Acid Spills into ME Wetlands
Ethanol Plant Fined for Dumping Waste
Chemical Spill Forces Water Plant Evac

The area where the fire occurred is several stories underground.

Five MWRA workers suffered smoke inhalation and ended up treated and released at a local hospital.

The workers were performing maintenance on an odor-control system at the time.

Authorities said there was never any danger to the public.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.